Monday, April 26, 2010

Believe it or not???


Nowadays, there are advertising everywhere we pass by even if we stop doing anything, the advertisements come to us. We can’t deny that advertising is playing an important role of our daily life. The great inspiration of buying products usually comes from advertisements.


Many advertisements are framing us by using different kinds of strategies. For example, this advertisement is about the deodorant. The message is this deodorant will make the armpits become white and more guys will be interested in you.


This advertisement uses the well-known Thai movie star as a presenter. She can attract people to pay more attention in this advertisement. This reframes us that if women use this deodorant, they will look like this super star; beautiful, attractive, confident and perfect.


Moreover, there are some strong words in the advertisement that reframe our idea; beautiful, attractive, confident and perfect. This reframes us to believe that if women want to be attractive, they should use this deodorant because guys like women whose armpits are white. In fact, it’s not a point that armpits can makes guys make a decision to like or love women.


There’s also a sentence which does not make sense. It’s “…Protect your armpits from the ultraviolet rays..” because no one raise hands up all the time. How the ultraviolet rays can effect to their armpits.


Furthermore, the way women look attractive in this advertisement is to dress improperly. If women dress properly, men cannot see the armpits. But in real life, not everyone can see the other’s armpits easily. If someone tries to show armpits in the public, that means he or she is too self confident or a bit crazy. This very contradicts with the reality.


However, advertising is just a marketing promotion, not everything we can use in real life. So, we should think more deeply before we believe the message from the advertisements.


Watzlawick, Weakland and Fisch (1974) describe the 'gentle art of reframing' thus:
“To reframe, then, means to change the conceptual and/or emotional setting or viewpoint in relation to which a situation is experienced and to place it in another frame which fits the 'facts' of the same concrete situation equally well or even better, and thereby changing its entire meaning.”

4 comments:

  1. Yes, advertisement tries to reframe us new value and also create social norm for us to catch up with it. Gor me it is tiring to be fashionable and trendsetter. I have to spend my hard -to- gain money upon this liar. Sorry for saying that they are all lies.

    Someone try to be suffecient in the world full of ads, how they can acheive that????

    There are new Blackberry, Ipad, Netbook, and many many more IT goods coming. I am envious to my friend who possesing these items and feel worthless looking at my Welcom mobile phone. It is trashy compared to Blackberry Bold.

    I feel empty when I cannot apply the whitenning rollon at my armpit, it seems ridiculous, but it is a fact.

    Actually, I never play social network like facebook, why I need BB to fulfill my blankness? Wjy I keep on desiring thing I don't know how to use? It is the influence of ads making us believing that they are the truth.

    I think we should be careful to believe anything in media, they are made belief, not a truth!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We cannot deny to the influence of the advertisement that it can help the people making a decision to buy a product. You are true that some of the advertisement is over promoted their product. So, the people as the consumers have to take more consideration in watching those advertisements.

    Moreover, it is sometime found that there are a lot of advertisements playing on the women’s body. The women appearance is used as the product to make the advertisement more interesting and they are played to make fun. Some of advertisements, such as body soap or shampoo, show the body of women with no cloth. It creates a beauty image and is not appropriated for the children watching on it.

    I think that the producer should know the limit in presenting an advertisement. The advertisement should be reliable and provide the real information to the audiences as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think the more we consume the media, we are more distorted and obsessed with them. Someone develop those value and try to acheive it.

    It is wondering how this ad becomes norm. the use of medias are so trustable and reliable.
    But they are just a medium for communication, not a reference.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Posted by Ngamjit T. 520132003

    Armpit can make a bad smell. So it needs deodorant to reduce its bad smell. The beauty image is so important for some women. They do everything to remove their armpit hair and make their armpit whiter and attractive. White armpit is nice when women wearing a sleepless shirt and somebody notice their armpits.

    We can see a lot of products for women but customer cannot buy them all. So attractive advertisement will help them to make a decision and pay money for it. Some customers, including me, pay money to try some of them. I tried some deodorant convincing me to have a whiter armpit. I did not see any difference among the same products. I think it’s exaggerating advertisement. In my opinion, good deodorant should be quick dry, mild smell and not so sticky. I believe that most of the customers interested in a sticky advertisement because of its psycho factors such as picture and sound. Some want to try even some of the products are so expensive. I think that advertisement plays an important role in the society and become more competitive. Thus, the customer will have more choices of the products. For me, I am still looking for the deodorant that really give me a whiter armpit. If you have any ideas about it, please let me know.

    Ngamjit T.
    520132003

    ReplyDelete