Wednesday, April 7, 2010

A young vender


How often I hang out at the night, a seldom I will see many kids walk along the famous night-spots in Chiang Mai.
Many kids are basically discovered in the trendy pubs along the Chiang Mai hub. It is seen that they come by holding a big basket which full of snacks and fruits or a bundle of roses to rise up some money for making their living. What they are deserved in life a childhood or education? They are not supposed to earn money especially in the night because they are being in a blossom of learning age. The children between 7 – 12 years old is appropriated to playing due to when children play, they learn, mixing with others children they absorb knowledge that will not only help them find work but also give them a vital grounding in how to behave and survive socially.

I think it is not the time for those children to stay there through the night. I see many children walk along the pubs asking people including me to buy some snack eaten with drinks, some come to sell a bundle of roses which is only 20 baht each flower. Meanwhile, the other children in the same ages are sleeping in a cozy bed, listening to a tale before bed time and snuggling of their parents.

I feel a little bit upset when I saw those children come to ask me for buying their goods. I am sometimes ashamed to the way I make a living. I spend 300-400 baht and waste my bed time to hang out in the night, while these children are spending their bedtime to make money.
I question that why they are allowed to be in the risking place. I feel sad to see children so young risking their future only for earning some money that they are probably unrealized what is the most important for their life.

I think families members, teachers and other concerned people must sit down together and work out a solution on how to decease the number of those young children.

3 comments:

  1. When I see young venders wandering around restaurants, I feel confused because I don’t know what to do. Why do parents allow their kids to walk along the streets at night? It’s too dangerous. Sometimes, they cry, wear dirty clothes, don’t wear shoes or get wet in rainy season. I don’t blame the children. It’s not their fault. I think it’s ashamed because adults use children to make money for them. They work on Thai’s weak point because Thai people always sympathize with children and elders.

    Once, I saw a young boy with no shoes walk along the traffic. He stood in front of the car and bowed the driver and then moved to another car. When the green light came, he walked to the footpath and talked to someone on his mobile phone. Should I buy things from them or not? Are they really poor or it’s just one kind of job? It’s hard to answer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will say sorry for them, too, as they show me the economical gap. Why some people just get rich, richer, the millionaire? While the people like us, I mean, we master degree students get a chance to study in Master Degree. It means we having better opportunity than the others, at least, the young venders.
    I would say sorry for many problems left unfixed in society. We, as the individual, push away this problem to the governmental responsibility as not ours obligation. We are both powerful and powerless at the same time.
    If we think that they are tricky, making money from lying us, using our sympathy for their advantages, will we feel better thinking like this? We still cannot baptize ourselves. Why we need to find answer to it? If we don't care this matter will not become our issue, but it is the issue, so we concern but we are helpless.
    It is tortured seeing little boys and girls roaming at night time. They are too young to work and it's dangerous walking among the cars at traffic jams. Some bad gases and fumes may sicken their health. It's the garish eyesight seeing these people walking into hell bit by bit. And I am so pathetic, so helpless even cannot give them some money as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nowadays, many immigrants from Thai neighbour increase a number of young vendors in Thailand. At a day time I see young vendors on the street selling things such as flower or lottery result. They wait for a red signal for the car to stop then it’s a selling time. I think the street is a place for the young vendors to sell their products, the customer can save their time to buy them. Both are get used to it that become very common to do that like they did on other places. I notice that in a day time, most of the vendors on the street are adult. In the evening, at night and on a holiday, most of them are children. Night time is another period to earn more money such as at night-spot in Chiangmai. I realized that it’s not appropriate but who is in charge for this situation. What I can do is not to buy it sometimes. There are other customers buying their products. As I mentioned before, money is answer for their survival. As long as nobody stop them doing that, they go out at night and do their job regularly. I believe that they try to survive than staying at home with less money. I am quite sure that their parents support their kid to do so. Only verbal reaction from other people cannot give what they want. And no authorization from the government to solve the problem. I conclude that it’s so complicated to stop their struggling on what they want especially without government policy to control them.

    Ngamjit T.
    520132003

    ReplyDelete